One of the tasks that I have taken on this year is to develop a series of profiles that highlight the many elements of that important fall festival, ”Trails and Sails’ Now it seems to be an appropriate time to focus on the purpose and the makeup of the entire event.
SEF Grant Cycle Now Open!
The Salem Education Foundation is now accepting applications for teacher grants for the 2012/13 school year. Teachers and staff may apply for up to $1,000 for enrichment grants and up to $3,000 for collaborative grants. Grants are available to teachers and staff at all the public schools in Salem, including the city's two charter schools. Applications must be received by Friday October 12th for consideration in this year's grant round.
Enrichment Grants are the traditional grants awarded by SEF for over 15 years. They are designed to provide funds for classroom teachers who have innovative, meritorious ideas. A project may qualify for funding if it makes creative use common of teaching aids, approaches the curriculum from an imaginative angle, ties non-traditional concepts together or promotes learning in innovative ways.
Collaborative Grants are designed to promote cooperative efforts across disciplines, across grade levels, and among schools. The Collaborative Grants category enables the Foundation to promote professional teamwork, cooperative learning and to share innovation across Salem schools.
For more information, including specific grant guidelines and a list of projects funded in the 2011/12 school year, please visit our website at: www.salemeducationfoundation.org/grants
News from Salem State University
· Friday, October 12, 2012 Athletes Weekend Athletes Hall of Fame Induction For more information on this event or any of our Athletes Weekend 2012 events please click here.
· Saturday, October 13, 2012 Athletes Weekend Alumni Golf Tournament, Beverly Golf and Tennis Club, Beverly. Please visit our webpage to download a printable version of the brochure.
· Saturday, October 13, 2012 Friends and Family Weekend Carnival and BBQ Marsh Hall Quad, Central Campus
· Saturday, October 13, 2012 Athletes Weekend Celebration of Coaches and Athletes Twohig Gym, O'Keefe Sports Center
· Sunday, October 14, 2012 Athletes Weekend Alumni Games Please RSVP to Tim Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Sunday, October 14, 2012 Athletes Weekend Alumni BBQ following alumni games Alumni Field, O'Keefe Sports Center Your Gift Makes a Difference!
ARTZ and Dementia: Innovation, Inclusion & Creative Expression
The opportunity for creative expression through the arts provides people living with dementia an alternative means of communication in a strength-based, process-oriented model. This conference highlights best practices for creative arts programming through experiential workshops with expert leaders in the field.
The conference will take place on Wednesday, October 3rd, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at New Bridge on the Charles. Click here to see the full conference agenda.
Click here to register.
Aging Parents: Navigating the Journey
Join in on a dynamic panel discussion with experts on navigating the aging journey on Wednesday, October 17th, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Wakelin Room at the Wellesley Free Library, 530 Washington Street.
The panel will be moderated by Janet Simpson Benvenuti, founder of Life Partners and author of Don't Give Up on Me! a memoir that captures the lessons she learned during the decade she supported her parents while raising her children. Janet will be joined by three experts who have decades of experience working with families: Dr. Anne McCaffrey, Medical Director of the Marino Center for Integrative Health, Jim Reynolds founder of Caring Companion Home Care, and Dianne Savastano, R.N./MBA and founder of HealthAssist.
The program is free to the public and will be telecast on the local community access channel. Bring your stories and prepare to enjoy a lively and informative discussion.